The International Competition on Urban Design of Longhua International Business District on Renmin Road in Longhua District of Shenzhen is to be launched soon. The project is now open to design teams from all over the world for an early sign-up and registration of intent.
The present international competition aims at drawing on collective wisdom and absorbing all useful ideas from both domestic and international excellent designing institutions for prospective, creative and operable urban designs. With Shenzhen’s mission of building a demonstrative pilot zone of socialism with Chinese characteristics as the foundation as well as the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area as the vision, it is expected that the construction of an international city of consumption center should be planned from a high point, so that Longhua International Business District can be built to become “the first choice of consumers in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Bay Area” with diversified urban functions that are integrated with commercial services, innovative creation, scientific and technological services, and life of good quality.
The Longhua International Business District is one of the six key- areas in Longhua District. It is located in the core part and central development axis of Shenzhen City, stretching itself into three subdistricts of Longhua, Minzhi and Dalang whilst being adjacent to the Shenzhen North Station International Business Zone in the south. Longhua Foxconn and Banxuegang Technology City are located in the northeastern direction and Yangtaishan Forest Park is located in the west. Bao’an International Airport is just one-hour drive away, and Shenzhen North Railway Station is within 10 minutes’ drive and Futian Central is just 30 minutes away. Therefore, the traffic both outbound and inbound is of great convenience.
The Longhua International Business District is the core section to improve the comprehensive service capabilities of the central development axis. On one aspect, the District has the function of perfecting Longhua’s own implementing system whilst enhancing the quality of life there. On the other aspect, with the North Railway Station Hub as the base, the exposure range of the business is expanded in the District which provides Longhua with a space of commercial complex that is widely-open, handy, ecological, and vibrant.
△Sketch Map of the Central Development Axis of Shenzhen City
△ Sketch Map of the Central Service Axis of Longhua District
△ Sketch Map of the Project Location
Three. The Work Contents for the Present Competition
The present international competition consists of two levels, namely the scope of urban design and the scope of conceptual architecture design . The former covers an occupation of approximately 325 hectares, including the range of Donghuan First Road, Longhua Avenue, Industry Road, Longsheng Road and Park Road (refer to the white scope line on map below). Among those, there are three key projects for conceptual architecture designs, namely the project of Longhua Business Center, the project of Longhua Third Industrial Zone as well as the intended shanty-area renovation project of the Core Zone.
The present international competition aims at recruiting creative plans for sectional major landmark building complex with business and office functions under the general framework of the urban design of the Renmin Road Business Center. It is required that the participating entities should make a proposal of the orientation of the industries and functions for future development, based upon the comprehensive analyses of the sectional development whilst pushing forward the concept of urban design and performing the work of design in terms of functional layout, traffic, public space, key architecture formats etc.
△ Sketch Map of the Site
1.The Phase of Urban Design
In accordance with the structural framework of Longhua International Business District, composition of functions as well as future-oriented spatial structure concepts and measures are required to be proposed. For the completion of the comprehensive conceptual urban design, focus shall be placed upon the design administration and control, the aboveground and underground space shaping and traffic organization of the four important axis lines of “the two- horizontal and the two -longitudinal” (namely Longhua Renmin Road, Longhua Heping Road, Industrial Road and Jinglong Construction Road), as well as the relationship between the District and different public open spaces, like the Guanlan River, etc.
△ The Two-horizontal and the Two-longitudinal
2.The Phase of Conceptual Architecture Design
The project implementation shall be on key focus. With the requirements raised by the host combined, the local policies and standards as well as the operability and economic costs of the project construction shall be taken into sufficient consideration. In the meanwhile, the plans for the three key projects (with a site occupation of about 75 hectares and a total floorage of about 3.66 million m2), namely of the Longhua Business Center, Longhua Third Industrial Zone and the intended shanty-area renovation project of the Core Zone, are requested to reach the depth of conceptual architecture design, and be operable.
△ Sketch Map of Scope of Longhua Business Center
△ Sketch Map of Scope of Longhua Third Industrial Zone
△ Sketch Map of the Scope of intended shanty-area renovation project of the Core Zone
Four. Eligibility Requirements
- The applicants shall be either enterprises with an independent legal person or institutions registered either in China or abroad. Foreign companies shall submit entries jointly with domestic enterprises with an independent legal person. No qualifications are required for the present competition.
- Consortium shall be accepted for the participation with no limitation in member numbers. No consortium members shall have the right to participate in the competition again alone or with another consortium by another name. The consortium members shall be requested to sign a Consortium Agreement with force of law whilst specifying the leading entity and individual labor division.
- No individual participant or individually-combined group will be accepted for the sign-up.
- It is encouraged that the design team shall consist of professionals from multiple fields, including urban planning and design, architecture and landscape design, transportation consultation and industrial planning etc.
- The participating designers for the present international competition shall be the registered personnel of the participating institution. The designer-in-chief shall have the skill of presiding over several projects of the same category as well as past relevant experience for at least 5 years. In addition, the designer-in-chief shall be directly involved with the whole designing process, including the site survey, reviewing and Q&A as well as the final presentation. It is required that at least one of the participating designers shall have the knowledge of the Chinese language, so the designers shall be ensured to have an accurate understanding of the regional background of China and relevant requirements.
- Design institutions (or consortium) with following project experience shall be given the prioritized consideration for further qualification : Practical and successful experience of key projects of urban design domestically or internationally.; Experience of business center planning and architecture design. Rich experience in urban design of comprehensive transportation hub areas.
Five. Competition Modes
The mode of “open entry submission + invitation” is adopted for the present international competition, which consists of three phases, namely the pre-qualification , the urban design and conceptual architecture design, as well as the integration and further development of the accomplishments.
The Phase of Pre-qualification: The host shall send out letters of invitation to the invited entities and select three shortlisted teams. The other three shortlisted teams shall be well selected from the design entities (or consortium) registered through public entries. In the meanwhile, there shall be two alternative teams based on the order.
The Phase of Urban Design and Conceptual Architecture Design: After six design institutions (or consortium) submit valid documents of accomplishments, the host shall establish a judge panel in accordance with laws and conduct the evaluation of participating plans..
The Phase of Integration and Further Development of the Accomplishments: The winning designing institution (or consortium) of the first prize shall be allowed to carry out the integration of the urban design plans and the deepening of architecture design, and their plan shall be put into implementation for the present project. Normally, the winner(s) shall be able to complete the further development work of the prized plan. In case the winning team gives up the integration work, the host shall have the right to entrust other design teams to take over the subsequent work. The winning team shall take the responsibility of assisting the other designing entities with the integration and further development in this phase whilst providing technological support services for the host.
Six. Competition Bonus
The total amount of bonus for the present international competition is 14.77 million CNY (about US$2,288,555). The specific arrangement shall be subject to the officially released announcement.
Seven. Pre-sign-up Registration
The official announcement of the present competition shall be released soon. Designing teams home and abroad are welcomed to pre-register for the competition. Interested entities shall download the attachment 1 Pre-registration sign-up form – The International Competition On Urban Design of Longhua International Business District on Renmin Road, fill the blanks and send it to the e-mail address: email@example.com.
Eight. Special Notes
Pre sign-up forms shall NOT be used as the official entry application. All information involved with the present pre-announcement shall be subject to the official announcement that is to be released later.
The announcement is published on AIMIR’s website now. If you want to know more following details regarding to this competition, please feel free to contact AIMIR. What’s more, you’re more than welcome to touch base with us if you need architectural visualization.