International Competition for Conceptual Design of Landmark Buildings of Quzhou will be launched soon. The competition consists of 2 projects. Project #1 is the Wenli Lake Landmark Buildings, and Project #2 is the Intelligent Island Landmark Buildings. Designers are welcome to participate.
Project #1 is open for institutions and individuals. The total bonus for institutions is RMB 7200000 (about US$1,065,600), of which the bonus for First Prize is RMB 3400000 (about US$503,200) (including bonus and follow-up work design fee). For individual applicants, the result will be announced after one round of concept proposal review. The total bonus for individuals is RMB 400000 (about US$59,200), of which the bonus for First Prize is RMB 150000 (about US$22,200).
Project #2 is open for institutions only. The total bonus for institutions is RMB 5800000 (about US$858,400), of which the bonus for First Prize is RMB 2600000 (about US$384,800) (including bonus and follow-up work design fee).
For above 2 projects, the competition for institutions includes 3 phases: concept proposal (anonymous review), design competition (open review, presentation required) and final evaluation. Institutions are allowed to participate in 2 projects at the same time, and there is no qualification or design experience requirements for institutions.
Quzhou is located in the west of Zhejiang, the beginning of Qiantang River, the border of Zhejiang, Anhui, Fujian and Jiangxi. Quzhou is committed to build a central city on the boundaries of four provinces, to become a bridgehead for Zhejiang’s economic expansion to the midwestern provinces, and to become a new growth point for Zhejiang’s economic development.
The High-Speed Railway New Town is a new planned area in Quzhou, which will be developed by relying on the Quzhouxi Railway Station and will become the gateway to the west of Quzhou. Quzhou has previously held several international competitions for urban design and architectural design, which aims to gather the strength of elite teams from around the world to create a new town of Quzhou, the High-Speed Railway New Town, with cutting-edge, pioneering design concepts. So far, several excellent design projects such as Quzhouxi Railway Station and Quzhou Sports Park have been implemented in High-Speed Railway New Town, and the construction of other cultural, industrial and commercial & office projects is in full swing.
In this context, Quzhou aims to construct landmark buildings representing the image of Quzhou. The landmark buildings are located on the bank of Wenli Lake, the central area of High-Speed Railway New Town, and the Intelligent Island, which is the important area for driving the development of the High-Speed Railway New Town to the east and south.
In this context, International Competition for Conceptual Design of Landmark Buildings of Quzhou will be launched soon. The competition is hosted by the People’s Government of Quzhou Municipality, organized by the Administration Committee of Quzhou Smart New City, and co-organized by Shenzhen Position Spatial Culture Development Co., Ltd. The project will call for conceptual design of iconic landmark buildings from worldwide designers.
The competition consists of 2 projects. Project #1 is the Wenli Lake Landmark Buildings, and Project #2 is the Intelligent Island Landmark Buildings.
Project #1 Wenli Lake Landmark Buildings are located at the gateway area of Quzhouxi Railway Station, and will be built into the highest buildings in the central area of Quzhou. Project #1 is open for institutions and individuals, while the review will be organized separately. It is not allowed to submit the same Concept Proposal to both the competition review for institutions and individuals.
Project #2 Intelligent Island Landmark Buildings are located in the important area of the High-Speed Railway New Town, which will drive the development of the city to the east and south. It will be built into the landmark buildings leading the development of innovative industries in Intelligent Island. Project #2 is open for institutions only.
For institutions, participating in Project #1 and Project #2 at the same time is allowed.
The competition aims to construct landmark buildings representing the image of Quzhou. Designers are encouraged to propose creative and diversified design concepts based on their understanding of background and culture of the city from multiple perspectives, and interpret the significance of landmark buildings to the city in multiple dimensions. Design key points include:
- Pioneer · Future
Show cutting-edge architectural ideas, and represent the pioneering and future spirit of the city; innovations are encouraged.
- Link · Share
Build the anchor point and highest place of the High-Speed Railway New Town of Quzhou. Promote the interaction between buildings and city, and stimulate public vitality.
- In Place · Inclusion
Integrate cultural elements, and consider local characteristics and landscape resources to create a unique city symbol.
- Artistic · Aesthetic
Create timeless classic architectural works and build it into a focal point of urban art and culture.
Project #1: Wenli Lake Landmark Buildings
Project #1 Wenli Lake Landmark Buildings are located on the west bank of Wenli Lake. Wenli Lake, located in the central core area of the High-Speed Railway New Town, is the key node of the planned water system of High-Speed Railway New Town, linking the north and south. The project is located on the important city central axis from Quzhouxi Railway Station to Wenli Lake. Together with those famous landmark buildings gathering here, which include Quzhou Sports Park, Quzhouxi Railway Station, etc., the project will establish an iconic architectural sequence of the High-Speed Railway New Town, and create an image of a pioneer city.
The project contains 3 plots. It is planned to build 2 or 3 high-rise/ultra high-rise buildings, with main functions including commercial, office, retail, conference & exhibition, leisure & entertainment, etc. The total site area of the project is about 30290 square meters. The overall building height restriction is 150 meters. The building height of the design scheme must not exceed the height restriction, but should be as close to the building height restriction as possible. The design team shall propose a conceptual design with iconic and recognizable features, and carry out corresponding functional planning. Attention should be paid to dealing with the relationship between Wenli Lake and the buildings. The conceptual design has the possibility of partially or fully putting into construction in the future. Each plot should have the conditions for independent construction.
Project #2: Intelligent Island Landmark Buildings
Project #2 Intelligent Island Landmark Buildings are located in the Baijiatang Area at the southeast corner of the High-Speed Railway New Town in Quzhou Smart New City, at the front part of the Intelligent Island on the south side of Changshangang River. Intelligent Island is committed to be constructed into a digitized industrial park led by technological research and development. The west, north, and east sides of the project are surrounded by Changshangang River, showing a peninsula shape. The design team needs to decide the location of the Intelligent Island Landmark Buildings within the site boundary in consideration of the surrounding conditions.
The landmark buildings should be in the shape of “Twin Towers”, with the main functions of industrial R&D, headquarters office, hotel and related service facilities. The total site area of the project is 136483 square meters, and the total above-ground floor area is about 340000 square meters, of which the above-ground floor area of the Intelligent Island Landmark Buildings (including the Twin Towers and podium) is about 100000 square meters. The building height restriction of the “Twin Towers” is 100 meters, and the building height restriction of other buildings in the plot is 45 meters. The building height of the design scheme must not exceed the height restriction. The design team should give priority to the visual effect of the “Twin Towers” facing Wuyishan Avenue to the north and the Intelligent Axis to the south.
Competition Rules & Awards & Application Requirements (for institutions)
The competition consists of 2 separate projects that are open for registration. A design company can register for both or only one of the 2 projects. The competition adopts the method of Open Call, which includes 3 phases: concept proposal, design competition and final evaluation.
Phase I: Concept Proposal
The first phase adopts the method of “anonymous review”. Each applicant can only submit ONE Concept Proposal for each project. The Concept Proposal Review Committee shall determine 5 shortlisted applicants (without ranking) and 2 alternative applicants (with ranking).
Phase II: Design Competition
The second phase adopts the method of “open review”, and the chief designer shall conduct a presentation during the Scheme Review Meeting. The co-organizer will send detailed materials including Competition Document to shortlisted applicants, and organize a site visit and Q&A session. Each shortlisted applicant shall submit only ONE Design Scheme for each project. For each project, the committee will determine 3 finalists (without ranking), and the remaining 2 shortlisted applicants (without ranking) will receive the Shortlist Prizes.
Phase III: Final Evaluation
The Final Evaluation Committee will determine 1 First Prize for each project from the 3 finalists recommended by the Scheme Review Committee. The First Prize winner will receive the corresponding competition bonus and will be responsible for the follow-up design work after the competition. The other 2 finalists will receive the Second Prize. The 2 Second Prizes and the 4 Shortlist Prizes will receive the corresponding competition bonus.
It is allowed that one applicant participates in 2 projects, and the applicant could be shortlisted and become the winner for both projects as well.
After announcing the competition result, there are possibilities of partially or fully putting the design scheme of the First Prize for each project into construction in the future. The winner will be responsible for the follow-up design work after the competition. The awards and bonus for institutions are set as follows：
- The competition consists of 2 separate projects that are open for registration. A design company can register for both or only one of the 2 projects. The applicant should specify the project it is participating in when they register. For each project, a set of separate, complete Concept Proposal Application Documents should be submitted.
- Domestic or overseas entities with legal business registration are welcome to participate.
- There is no qualification requirement.
- A design company can register independently or form a consortium applicant (hereinafter referred to as “the consortium”) with other design companies. One consortium shall include no more than 2 members (including the leading member). All members of the consortium shall sign the Consortium Agreementlegally, and clarify the division of workload and equity share of the leading member and the others. Overseas (including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan) design companies without subsidiaries or branches in China must form a consortium with domestic company to participate in the competition.
- The applicant must designate 1 or 2 chief designers in the application documents. Applicants composed of professionals in architectural design, structural design, urban design, architectural planning and etc. are encouraged. To ensure that the designers have an accurate understanding of the background and relevant requirements of the competition, at least one of the major design team members should be a native Chinese speaker.
- The designers involved in this competition should be the registered staff of the corresponding design company. The chief designers must be truly responsible for the project during the whole process of the competition and the follow-up work including but not limited to site visit and Q&A session, and final presentation, etc. If it is found that the actual chief designers do not match the persons submitted in the application materials during the competition, the host/organizer has the right to disqualify the applicant.
- Two or more legal entities with the same legal representative, parent companies and its wholly-owned subsidiaries, companies that have a controlling relationship with each other shall be regarded as the same applicant and shall not submit the application in the same project.
- A design company can participate in no more than 2 consortiums to apply for different projects. Each member of the consortium shall not submit the application in the same project as another consortium with other companies.
- The design team members of the Project #1 institutional applicants are not allowed to apply for the competition as individual applicant.
- In Project #1, It is not allowed to submit the same Concept Proposal to both the competition review for institutions and individuals.
Competition Rules &Awards & Application Requirements (for individuals)
Individual applicants are only allowed to participate in Project #1. Individual applicants shall submit their information and Concept Proposal as required, and each person (group) will be allowed to submit only ONE Concept Proposal.
The committee adopts the method of “anonymous review” to evaluate the Concept Proposal, and determine 5 winning proposals, including 1 First Prize for individuals, 1 Second Prize for individuals and 3 Excellence Prizes for individuals. The list of winners and the winning proposals will be announced and displayed through the project homepage and other platforms.
The awards and bonus for individuals are set as follows：
- Professional architects, independent designers, students or design enthusiasts who do not participate in the Project #1 for institutions can register individually or in teams as individual applicant.
- One team shall include no more than 5 members. One of the team members should be the project leader (responsible for coordination work within the team, contacting and other related affair) for the team.
- The same person shall not submit two or more applications, shall not register as an individual and in a team at the same time, and shall not join different teams for registration.
- Teams composed of members of architectural design, urban design, structural design, architectural planning, art design and other disciplines are encouraged.
- Those who register as individual applicant are not allowed to participate in Project #1 as design team members of the institutional applicant.
All information shall be subject to the official announcement released later. Pre-registration and material download application are NOT official competition application. Applicants should complete the registration process and material submission in accordance with the official announcement and relevant documents.
In case of any discrepancy between the English version and the Chinese version, the Chinese version shall prevail.
The announcement is published on AIMIR’s website now. If you want to know more following details regarding to this competition, please feel free to contact AIMIR. What’s more, you’re more than welcome to touch base with us if you need architectural visualization.