International Competition for Conceptual Planning and Urban Design of Jiangxi Xinfeng High-Speed Rail New Town will be launched soon.
Xinfeng is the largest county with the most population in the area adjacent to Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (hereinafter the Greater Bay Area) in Jiangxi Province. It’s known as the merging area among the three provinces of Jiangxi, Guangdong and Fujian. Now it acts as the frontier communicating with the Greater Bay Area, an important junction node of Jiangxi and Guangdong the Grande Canale (planned), occupying an important strategic position.
The opening of Ganzhou-Shenzhen High-Speed Railway in 2021 brings an enormous historical opportunity for Xinfeng County. Ganzhou-Shenzhen High-Speed Railway is an artery that connects the North and the South, the opening of Ganzhou-Shenzhen High-Speed Railway is of great significance to promote the deep integration of the Greater Bay Area, extend the radiation-driven function of Pearl River Delta region, and implement the national strategy of “The Rise of Central China”.
In order to fully integrate into the Greater Bay Area as well as play the role of an integration forerunner, the 15th Congress of the Communist Party of China of Xinfeng County proposed that Xinfeng should integrate into the south and communicate with the north, and make good use of the enormous historical opportunity of the opening of the Ganzhou-Shenzhen High-Speed Railway. The green hills and clear rivers including Gushan Mountain and Taojiang River should be relied on. Advantages of Xinfeng should be fully taken, including its proximity to the Greater Bay Area, its large population and territory, strong developing energy and good industrial base. High-Speed Rail New Town aims to deeply integrate southward into the business environment and modern industrial system of the Greater Bay Area and become a bridgehead city of the integration. It shall also connect northward with the main urban area of Ganzhou and finally achieve overall development. It strives to depict a new page of Xinfeng as “the hometown of oranges in the world, the source of Beijiang River, the example of integrating into the Greater Bay Area, a city with ethical citizens and abundant resources”. The goal is to make full use of the policies for the revitalization of Central Revolutionary Base Area, and become one of the cities with the best business environment merging into the Greater Bay Area in the central and western regions of China.
In this context, hosted by Xinfeng County Natural Resources Bureau, co-organized by Shenzhen Position Spatial Culture Development Co., Ltd., International Competition for Conceptual Planning and Urban Design of Jiangxi Xinfeng High-Speed Rail New Town will be launched soon.
Location of Xinfeng County
Location of High-Speed Rail New Town
- Take the demonstration area of industry-city integration in the Greater Bay Area as a development goal, and create a new engine to integrate with the Greater Bay Area as well as an innovative highland:With the planning combining with the superior ecological environment of Gushan Mountain and Taojiang River, the city will improve the industrial structure, public services and commercial facilities and develop modern business, headquarters economy, talent cultivation, creative entrepreneurship and ecological tourism. Combined with the planning of the Greater Bay Area, it will construct a high-tech innovation zone, an area gathering high-end elements, a waterfront ecological zone with “one river and two banks”, and a leisure and recreation zone in Gushan Mountain to create a preferred place for industrial transfer from the Greater Bay Area.
- Construct a landscape belt with the characteristic of “one river and two banks” as well as a beautiful and ecological city with mountains and rivers:Promote the comprehensive development of tourism and explore the landscape and cultural resources on both sides of Taojiang River. Taking Taojiang River as the central axis, designers need to create a landscape belt with the characteristic of “a river and two banks” and finally form a tourism axis. A modern ecological High-Speed Rail New Town needs to be planned to create a high-quality urban environment with mountains and rivers for introducing industries and talents.
- Improve the future integration of industry and city, and construct High-Speed Rail New Town as a new model of transit-oriented city:The planning needs to consider the connection with the current urban space, industry as well as the long-term development space. High-Speed Rail New Town shall be planned by means of regional integration, river-city integration and transit-oriented development.
Xinfengxi Railway Station
Wetland park on the north bank of Taojiang River
The South Bank of Taojiang River
Gushan Mountain Scenic Area
The Jiading Old Bridge on Taojiang River
Gushan Mountain and Old Town
Xinfeng is known as “the Hometown of Navel Oranges in China”, with a beautiful natural ecological environment and the superior ecological structure of “three mountains and two rivers surrounding the city”. The 8-km-long ecological shoreline along Taojiang River is an important ecological showcase area of the city. High-Speed Rail New Town is located in the south of Xinfeng County, which will be an important area for the future development of the main urban area of Xinfeng.
Conceptual Planning Scope: The total area is about 2064.08 hectares. The area is enclosed by Nation Highway 105 (East) in the east, Daqing-Guangzhou Expressway in the west, Nation Highway 105 (South) in the south and Gushan Mountain Area in the north.
Urban Design Scope: The total area is about 1095.86 hectares (including 117.55-hectare water body area of Taojiang River). Urban Design Scope includes the ecological shoreline of about 8 km on both sides of Taojiang River, the reservoir area within Gushan Mountain Area, the area north of Taojiang River enclosed by Ganzhou-Shenzhen High-Speed Railway, Xinxiong Avenue, Yingbin Avenue and Yanjiang Avenue and the area within about 0.5 km from the southern bank of Taojiang River.
Conceptual Planning Scope and Urban Design Scope of the Project
Partition Map of High-Speed Rail New Town
The project site includes Taojiang River and its ecological shoreline on both sides, the area north of Taojiang River, the area south of Taojiang River and Gushan Mountain area. The spatial structure and infrastructure of the site need to be improved. The ecological wetland on the northern bank of Taojiang River has been completed. A number of important landmarks, transportation buildings and cultural buildings have been put into use in the area north of Taojiang River, but there is still a large area in need of planning and construction. The area south of Taojiang River is currently undeveloped and remains as a long-term development site. Currently the area south of Taojiang River is dominated by a large amount of farmland, private houses and national public welfare forests.
https://720yun.com/t/44vkbqr7rpb?scene_id=94220698Panorama of High-Speed Rail New Town (Taken at an altitude of about 250 meters above Xinfeng Bridge, Xinfeng County):https://720yun.com/t/44vkbqr7rpb?scene_id=94220698
Construction Situation within High-Speed Rail New Town
Location of Construction Projects within High-Speed Rail New Town
Transportation Planning within High-Speed Rail New Town
The competition adopts the method of open solicitation, divided into three phases: Open Application Phase, Schematic Design Competition Phase and Final Presentation Phase. (During Schematic Design Phase, the co-organizers will organize a mid-term presentation, in the form of online presentation. The shortlisted teams need to submit their design proposals and make a mid-term presentation to the host.)
- Open Application Phase
Each applicant should submit only 1 concept proposal. Pre-qualification Review Committee shall review application materials submitted by the participating teams including the concept proposal, experience of the chief designer and the team (Open Review), and comprehensively determine 6 shortlisted proposals without ranking to enter the next phase by voting. 2 alternative proposals with ranking will also be determined.
- Design Competition Phase
The shortlisted teams submit complete conceptual design according to relevant requirements. Only 1 design for each team (consortium) shall be submitted. Scheme Review Committee shall evaluate the design schemes (Open Review), and fully listen to opinions of the host, then determine 3 ranked winning proposals and 3 unranked Excellence Awards by voting. (Before the scheme review meeting, a mid-term presentation will be organized in the form of online presentations, in which the shortlisted teams will submit their design proposals and make a mid-term presentation to the host.)
- Final Presentation Phase
The top 3 of the shortlisted teams will enter Final Presentation Phase. The host shall choose one of the teams to be responsible for follow-up work to optimize the planning and design scheme.
The competition results will be announced on project homepage and other platforms after confirmation by the host, for 3 working days.
- Applicants must be domestic or overseas legally registered companies or organizations. Two or more legal persons, parent companies, wholly-owned subsidiaries and their holding companies with the same legal representative shall be regarded as the same applicant and shall not apply for the competition at the same time.
- There is no qualification requirement. Design teams composed of professionals in urban planning and design, landscape design, architectural design, positioning strategyare encouraged.
- Consortium is accepted, withno more than 3 members (1 leading member+ 2 members). Consortium members shall sign the Consortium Agreement legally and specify the leading member and work distribution. Each member in the consortium shall not apply for the competition alone or participate in another consortium in other names with other enterprises or institutions.
- Foreign enterprises or institutions that do not have branches or staff in China must form a consortium with domestic design institutions to participate in the international competition.
- Individual or team of individuals are not accepted.
- Designers participating in this international competition should be the registered staff of the application company. The chief designer should be a designer who has led several projects of the same type and must be truly responsible for the project. The chief designer should participate in the whole process of this international competition including but not limited to the site visit, Q&A sessions and scheme reporting (including video conference). If it is found that the chief designer does not match with the person submitted in the application materials during the international competition, the host has the right to cancel the qualification. In order to ensure that the designers have an accurate understanding of the background and relevant requirements of this international competition, at least one of the main designers should be a native Chinese speaker.
For each shortlisted applicant, if the deliverables are determined by the Scheme Review Committee as meeting the design requirements of the competition, the host will pay the corresponding bonus (tax inclusive) according to the ranking results determined by the Scheme Review Committee as follows:
1 Winner, award of RMB 3,600,000 (tax inclusive) (about US$534,900), including 300,000 (about US$44,500) for the service fee which shall be paid by the winner to the co-organizer (tax inclusive)
1 Second Prize, award of RMB 2,300,000 (tax inclusive) (about US$341,700).
1 Third Prize, award of RMB 1,800,000 (tax inclusive) (about US$267,400).
3 Excellence Awards, each award of RMB 1,300,000 (tax inclusive) (about US$193,100).
The fee for follow-up integration and optimization work is RMB 2,000,000 (tax inclusive) (about US$297,100).
The official announcement of this competition will be issued in late May. We welcome all design teams to pre-register. If interested, please scan the QR code or visit the link below to fill out pre-registration information. The pre-registration deadline is 17:00, May 23, 2022 (UTC+8). We will inform pre-registers by email once the official announcement is released.
All information shall be subject to the official announcement released later.
Please fill out pre-registration information accurately so that the co-organizer can inform updates of the competition in time.
Host Xinfeng County Natural Resources Bureau
Co-organizer Shenzhen Position Spatial Culture Development Co., Ltd.
Enquiry Email [email protected]
Phone/WeChat Ms. Zeng +86-18718560045 Ms. Chen +86-19129915597 *Consultation Hours: Weekdays 9:00－18:30
Project Homepage xinfengnewtown.archiposition.com
The project homepage will provide documents for download and updated information of the competition such as Q&A and addendum.
The announcement is published on AIMIR’s website now. If you want to know more following details regarding to this competition, please feel free to contact AIMIR. What’s more, you’re more than welcome to touch base with us if you need architectural visualization.