Wuhan East Lake High-Tech Development Zone (also known as “East Lake High-Tech Zone” and “Optics Valley of China (OVC)”), was founded in 1988 and successively approved by the state as one of the first National High-Tech Zones, second National Innovation Demonstration Zone and China (Hubei) Pilot Free Trade Zone – Wuhan Area, and has been recognized as a National Optoelectronic Information Industry Base, National Bio-industry Base and Talent Base for Central State-owned Enterprises (SOEs), as well as being included in the first batch of National Innovation and Entrepreneurship Demonstration Bases.
Optics Valley Central City is under accelerated development and construction into a core carrier of urban functions for East Lake High-tech Zone. Different from its north core zone, its south core zone is planned to occupy an area of 3.24 km2, becoming an international community serving the development of innovation and entrepreneurship, sports and leisure, and culture and entertainment. The overall urban layout of the south core zone is a continuation of the urban layout of Optics Valley Central City, namely “small blocks and a dense road network” with a clear spatial sequence and axis. It will be developed into a continuous, multi-level, spatially varied green and open community based on existing hills and rivers connecting with major public buildings in the Zone, and organically integrating with a bus + slow traffic complex 3D traffic system, thereby providing a good development framework for urban invigoration, innovation convergence and future city cultivation.
The construction of East Lake Science City Innovation Industrial Park is now planned so as to further tap the potential of regional development and create an open, diversified and dynamic system that serves business, commerce and innovative industries.
The East Lake Science City Innovation Industrial Park Project is planned to be located in the south core zone of Optics Valley Central City at the intersection of two main roads, Guanggu 5th Road and Gaoxin 4th Road, adjacent to the complex of sports parks and stadiums in the north and the lotus pond park and Central Ecological Corridor in the west, making it the most important node in the urban axis and vibrant green ring, and a landmark in the Zone’s skyline. Metro Line 19 and Line 29 transfer hubs are planned to be constructed in the southeast of the base to facilitate convenient public transportation access.
The project is oriented as an international-level complex serving innovative industries and integrating business, office and culture. It is highly forward-looking and innovative in its multi-functional complex design and integration of shared space, and will reach the mainstream level of international intelligent office property in an all-round way.
The project will consist of two plots in south and north respectively, with a planned total area of 3.4 hectares, designed to become an urban complex including two super high-rise tower buildings (no higher than 150 m and 240 m in height respectively). The building area capacity of the project will not exceed 183,300 m2, with no more than 21,000 m2 for underground commercial space and parking lots. RMB 1,588 million is planned to be invested in the project.
Spatial relationship with Optics Valley Central City
Spatial relationship with urban design framework of south core zone
Design scope and surrounding planning
Surrounding traffic conditions
- Full consideration of base characteristics and advantages, and introduction of urban design thinking
The relationships among development intensity, spatial organization and environmental quality are studied to ensure harmonious coordination between the urban complexes of various architectural volumes, and between the urban complexes and surrounding buildings and environment. The different functions and proportions of the project are reasonably allocated to avoid mutual interference between the pedestrian flow and traffic stream in business, hotel and office areas, and maximize the economic value of both the land and commercial operation. Dynamic and open blocks will be created, the design of the interfaces between streets, commercial spaces and pedestrian spaces will be strengthened, and a continuous public pedestrian street system will be built. Outdoor public spaces will be opened in an appropriate manner and unobstructed multi-dimensional city vision from the ground floor, near-ground floor, middle of high-rise tower and roof will be created, demonstrating cultural characteristics and shared resources.
- Reasonable functional zoning to create humanized and flexible office space
On the basis of an understanding of new economic forms and social willingness, a future-oriented, people-oriented and high-quality office space will be created and adapted to the flexible needs of enterprises for space utilization and irregular function transformation, thereby realizing personalized development and free combination. Low-energy and sustainable green ecological technology will be combined in order to adjust the microclimate and create a healthy and pleasant space for work and communication. The study of problems in existing office models and the development of high-rise offices will be encouraged, and innovative ideas and technological breakthroughs in design will be presented.
- Overall consideration of balance among design innovation, implementation and later operation
Appropriate technical solutions will be selected, balance will be struck among structural form, architectural form, use function and space experience, and excessively complex and difficult construction forms that lead to out-of-control project progress and costs will be avoided.
- Land Planning and Design Conditions
See the design specifications for details.
- Design Contents
Main contents: project planning (market analysis, product orientation and portfolio, development strategy and later operation strategy suggestions) and main and supporting function designs (office buildings, hotels, businesses, parking garages and equipment rooms). See the design specifications for details.
- This solicitation adopts a global open application method. All design agencies with relevant experience in the design of super high-rise public buildings (built or under construction in the past ten years) in China and abroad may apply for participation.
- The design agency (applicant) must have a legally registered and valid business license. Different agencies with the same responsible person or in a holding or management relationship are not permitted to apply simultaneously.
- Consortiums consisting of up to three members are permitted to apply. However, the lead agency and respective responsibilities of the consortium should be specified in the consortium agreement. Parties to a consortium may not participate under their own name or form another consortium with other design agencies.
- Applications made by individuals and individual groups will not be accepted.
- Applicants should complete the application form (click hereto download the application form, password: bzzx), then stamp it, scan it and send it to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org to access the design specifications. Please refer to the design specifications for requirements for the completion of credit certificates.
This solicitation is divided into three phases: “application and pre-qualification”, “concept design review” and “final review”:
- Application and pre-qualification
After applicants submit their application forms, the undertaker will issue the detailed design specification and basic information package of the project; after applicants submit their credit certificates and conceptual proposals, the undertaker will organize a pre-qualification meeting for the preferential selection of five unranked shortlisted design agencies.
- Concept design review
The shortlisted design agencies should continue to complete their concept designs; the undertaker will organize a Q&A meeting and site survey as the case may be, and organize a proposal review meeting for the preferential selection of three unranked design proposals recommended to the sponsor for further decision.
- Final review
The sponsor will organize a final review meeting to rank the three design proposals on the basis of a report made by the chief architects.
RMB 500,000 (about US$73,900) each in design compensation for the five design agencies shortlisted in the pre-qualification phase, another RMB 4.5 million (about US$665,700) design fee (RMB 5 million (about US$739,700) in total) for the design agency ranking first among the three design agencies in the final review phase, and another RMB 1 million (about US$147,900) (RMB 1.5 million (about US$221,800) in total) and RMB 500,000 (about US$73,900) (RMB 1 million (about US$147,900) in total) for the design agencies ranking second and third respectively. The above fees are tax-inclusive.
This solicitation will last from July 2022 to October 2022. The specific schedule is as follows:
Note: The above times are subject to China Standard Time (CST).
Any major adjustments to the schedule will be announced separately.
Design Document Requirements
1. Prequalification stage
- Credit Certificate Document
Including the profile of design institution, business license or effective business registration document, consortium agreement, projects list and relevant proofs, the design team, resumes of chief architect.
- Conceptual Proposal
Two display boards in A0 size (portrait), one automatic presentation file (no more than 5 minutes), and brief design description(no more than 1000 words), the contents of which include but not limited to the following:
· Project interpretation, design ideas and related analysis graphics;
· General layout plan with major economic and technical indicators;
· Major floor plans, elevations and sections;
· Design concept renderings;
· Other necessary analysis diagrams and drawings that express the design intention.
2. Concept Design Review Stage
Six display boards in A0 size (portrait), ten atlas in A3 size, one presentation file, and 3D model, the contents of which include but not limited to the following:
·Design concept description and related technology analysis;
·Major economic and technical indicators;
·Analysis diagram of concept and scheme that express the conception process;
·General layout plan;
·Major floor plans, elevations, sections and perspectives;
·Schematic diagram of structures, façade materials, mechanical and electrical equipments;
·Business planning, operational strategy, and engineering construction investment estimation;
- The design fees for this solicitation will all be paid in RMB in China. Any foreign design agency or individual not supporting such collection in RMB may authorize legal and independent legal persons in China to collect such payment on their behalf.
- Design agencies have the right of authorship to their deliverables. With the permission of the sponsor, such agencies can evaluate and display the deliverables mentioned above through media, professional magazines, books or other forms. The sponsor, undertaker and project construction unit have the right to use the solicited proposals in consultation on this project, and may use such proposals in whole or in part during the proposal adjustment and integration of this project, or modify them; furthermore, the sponsor, undertaker and project construction unit may also print, publish and exhibit all the application results, and evaluate, display and publicize such results through the media, professional magazines, books, periodicals or other forms.
- Design proposals should be original and not previously published in any form. Neither the design proposals nor any material used to create the entries should infringe on any third-party copyright, trademark, patent or other rights. In the event of such infringement, the design agencies must be liable for all disputes or legal liabilities arising therefrom, and compensate for any losses suffered by the sponsor.
- The design agencies must abide by the relevant confidentiality regulations of China, properly keep the drawings and materials provided by the sponsor, and protect their intellectual property rights. Without the permission of the sponsor, no drawing data or design results may be transferred to any third party or used in projects other than this project.
- Design agencies participating in this event will be deemed to have acknowledged all the terms of this announcement.
- Only the laws and regulations of the People’s Republic of China are applicable to this event itself and all documents in connection with it.
- The sponsor reserves the final right to interpret the rules of this event.
Organization and Contact Information
Sponsor: Wuhan Optical Valley Central City Construction and Investment Co., Ltd.
Organizer: Wuhan Planning & Research and Exhibition Center
Contact information: +86 15927332351 Ms.Yang; +86 17354300581 Ms.Zhou
Consultation time: 9:00-11:30,15:00-17:30, from Monday to Friday
Address: Block A, Jianghua Complex Building, Jiang’an District, Wuhan City, Hubei Province
The announcement is published on AIMIR’s website now. If you want to know more following details regarding to this competition, please feel free to contact AIMIR. What’s more, you’re more than welcome to touch base with us if you need architectural visualization.