Located in the geographical center of northern Bao’an District in Shenzhen, the Shenzhen Bao’an Western Center (hereinafter referred to as the “Western Center”) enjoys an obvious position advantage with quick access to Dongguan, Guangming, Nanshan, and Futian via several major transportation corridors including the Outer Ring Highway, Beijing-Hong Kong-Macao Highway, Guangzhou-Shenzhen Highway, and Bao’an Avenue, as well as access to all directions enabled by Metro Lines 6, 11, and 12. Moreover, it provides high-quality urban comprehensive services to several advanced manufacturing parks including Shenzhen Convention & Exhibition – New Marine City, Yanluo, Xinqiao East, and Fuhai-Shajing.
Tantou – Houting Area of Shenzhen Bao’an Western Center (hereinafter referred to as the “site”), located within the Western Center, covers an area of approximately 5.9 square kilometers, serving as a key carrier for the Western Center to implement major development strategies such as golden inner bay and area expansion in Qianhai, and to achieve balanced development between dual centers of northern and southern Bao’an.
The International Consultation’s work scope is twofold: conceptual design scope and key design scope.
The conceptual design scope is bounded by roads such as the Beijing-Hong Kong-Macao Highway, Guangzhou-Shenzhen Highway, Outer Ring Highway, Bao’an Avenue, Xinhe Avenue, and Shajing Road, covering an area of 5.9 square kilometers.
The key design scope is the eastern area of Bao’an Avenue in the Core Area, covering an area of 2.9 square kilometers.
Shenzhen builds a region-oriented development pattern of the metropolitan area
In 2019, the Outline Development Plan for the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area was issued, proposing to “improve the regional development coordination, and build a development pattern of the GBA that is structurally scientific, intensive and efficient”. In 2022, the 13th Party Congress of Guangdong Province proposed to build a 100-kilometer “golden inner bay” around the Pearl River Estuary to promote the integrated and high-quality development of the Pearl River Estuary in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area.
To better implement development strategies of the GBA, Shenzhen should build a central system structure that is further improved to lead the Shenzhen metropolitan area construction. As a key part of Shenzhen’s central system, the Western Center is an inevitable choice to realize the development strategy of Shenzhen metropolitan area, build a development pivot in western Shenzhen and boost the collaboration between Shenzhen and Dongguan and the integration of the GBA.
Bao’an District builds north-south dual centers to propel urban development
Over the past decade, population and industries have continued to converge in western Shenzhen. Driven by strategic innovation platforms, the northern Bao’an area has realized a rapid climb in energy level thanks to vigorous transformation power, emerging as Shenzhen’s frontier for development toward the GBA. However, at the same time, this area also faces insufficient housing supply, poor current living conditions, a per capita housing area far below the city’s average level, and an all-round shortage of public facilities regarding healthcare, education, culture and sports, etc. These challenges hinder the area from meeting the development needs of its future industries and talent.
In order to enhance the competitiveness of northern Bao’an and promote comprehensive transformation of industries and urban construction, Bao’an District has proposed adding a city center in the north (i.e. the Western Center) to form north-south dual centers with the southern Bao’an central area. This proposal aims to balance the southern and northern development in western Shenzhen and optimize urban structure.
Maozhou River innovative basin supplements high-quality urban service
The Maozhou River basin is emerging as an innovation support belt between Shenzhen and Dongguan. In its upper reaches, the basic scientific research and original innovation, such as Songshan Lake Science City and Guangming Science City, will significantly enhance the bay area’s level of sci-tech innovation; in the lower reaches, sci-tech service sectors such as the Binhaiwan New Area, New Marine City, and Convention & Exhibition City will attract high-quality technology enterprises and talent, serving the function of sci-tech innovation; located in the middle reaches, the Western Center will connect functional areas in the upper and lower reaches with high-quality comprehensive urban services, creating a complete innovation chain of basic scientific research – comprehensive services – sci-tech business in the Maozhou River basin.
Therefore, distinct from traditional urban CBDs, the Western Center prioritizes the optimization of the relationship between vocation and living, improvements on urban services, and the building of a quality urban area that is pleasant to live, work and travel, in order to support the guarantee strategy for industrial space such as Yanluo and Xinqiao East, and to facilitate the innovative development of the Maozhou River basin through coordination with the Convention & Exhibition City, New Marine City, and Binhaiwan New Area.
Northern Bao’an plans to create a world-class landmark business district
Shenzhen is making every effort to create a “globally influential consumer center”, with the focus on establishing five world-class landmark business districts with a “four-level and diversified” commercial planning system. Among them, the Airport Convention & Exhibition Business District will leverage unique resources, including the Shenzhen World Exhibition & Convention Center and Shenzhen Airport and uphold the development concept of “integration of convention & exhibition and city” and “integration of airports” to create a new consumption highland in northern Bao’an.
Located within the influence range of the Airport Convention & Exhibition Business District, the Western Center boasts three major hundred-billion-yuan development engines: “convention & exhibition + marine + cultural tourism”, which allow for effective convergence of the flow of people, goods, funds, and information. Leveraging superior water network layout, history & culture, and a vision for future urban development, the Western Center will create a diverse and distinctive commercial cluster featuring sci-tech consumption, fashion consumption, cultural creativity consumption, and tourism consumption, among others.
To support the development of innovative river basin of Maozhou River in a better manner and respond to the construction pattern of Shenzhen metropolitan area, the following design objectives are proposed for the International Consultation:
- Integration of river and city, remodeling the ecological resilience demonstration of the river waterfront space;
- Charm and enablement, building a regional public vitality center in the Western Center;
- Futuristic outlook, exploring the paradigm of high-quality livability in Shenzhen in the new period.
- Global vision and international standards
Carry out high-standard design with an international vision, combine advanced experience at home and abroad to unfold urban design in a scientific and orderly manner, rationally arrange space and urban service facilities, and provide high-quality services and environment for enterprises and people.
- Ecological priority and green city development
Practice the development concept of respecting nature and adapting to nature, conserve the current river system and vegetation condition, fully coordinate the relationship between ecological protection and development & construction, and build a spatial layout that fully coordinates and integrates ecology, culture, commerce and living, so as to shape an exemplary central urban area that blends rivers and city.
- Futuristic demonstration and people orientation
Adhere to the principle of sustainable development, explore innovative models that integrate technologies in such areas as green ecology, smart city, and intelligent transportation, construct a spatial paradigm that combines advanced technologies, sustainable development, and future work and lifestyle.
- Operability to ensure the implementation
Learning from excellent cases of stock area renewal at home and abroad, and analyzing the logic of high-density stock area renewal, the scheme should be able to adapt to the needs of development and construction at different stages, leaving room for future development, and it must be operable to carry out in the next round of urban construction work.
Consultation methods and schedule
1) The international consultation will adopt open application prequalification. After pre-qualification review, four shortlisted units will enter the Stage II – Urban Design Stage; Four shortlisted design agencies shall submit the deliverables meeting the requirements of the Design Brief. The scheme review jury will review the submitted urban design scheme to select the top two winning agencies and recommend them to the Host, On the basis of full respect on the opinions of review experts, the Host determines the ranking of the top two schemes.
2) Application conditions
- Open application is adopted for this international consultation, without qualification requirements. The applicant must be independent legal entity or institution registered at home and abroad. If it is an overseas agency, it must make joint application together with independent legal entity registered in China.
- Consortium is encouraged, with no more than three members. The consortium member cannot make application separately either by itself or by forming other consortium with other design agencies in another name. The consortium members need to sign the Consortium Agreement with legal effect, specifying the leading member, work division of each member. The application by individual or group of individuals is not accepted.
- Priority will be given to teams with similar design experience:
- With rich experience in urban renewal and urban design projects;
- With experience in waterfront public space design;
- With experience in commercial complex design;
- With experience in city operation planning for large urban core areas.
- The planning designers participating in this international consultation shall be the personnel on the payroll of the design agency. The chief designer shall be the person who has led several projects of the same type with over 5 years of relevant working experience and must directly participate in the whole consultation design process, attending and reporting in the site visit, review Q & A and achievement reporting. To ensure that the project planning designers have an accurate understanding of the regional background of China and the related requirements, the project planning designers shall include one member proficient in Chinese;
- Open application units (consortiums) should provide pre-qualification application documents according to requirements of the consultation rules, The pre-qualification application documents consist of three parts: the application documents, the conceptual proposal and conceptual proposal display board,The conceptual proposal could adopt various forms to express the core concepts and ideas of the design, the content does not exceed 10 sheets (excluding front cover and table of contents, design agency can choose by itself for single-side or double-side printing, and the total number of front and back pages does not exceed 20 pages), There is one display board in A0 size (1189mm×841mm).
3) Expected time of the consultation
The consultation will be launched in late November 2023 with issuance of the official consultation announcement
The announcement of pre-qualification results will be issued in Mid December 2023
Deliverables will be submitted in early April 2024 to the scheme review jury
Winners will be determined in late April 2024
All consultation information is subject to the official announcement issued by the Project.
Host: Shenzhen Bao’an District People’s Government
Undertakers: Bao’an Administration of Planning and Natural Resources Bureau of Shenzhen Municipality
China Resources Land Urban Renewal（Shenzhen）Co.,Ltd.
Contact person: Ms. Tian 13312968676 （Monday through Friday 9:00-18:00 Beijing time)
The announcement is published on AIMIR’s website now. If you want to know more following details regarding to this competition, please feel free to contact AIMIR. What’s more, you’re more than welcome to touch base with us if you need architectural visualization.