Organizer: Management Committee of Guangzhou Nansha Development Zone
Undertaker: Mingzhu Bay Development and Construction Administration of Guangzhou Nansha New Area
Organizing Agent: GZPI
Zonleon Sungin Tendering Consulting Co，Ltd
International Competition for Architectural Concept Scheme of Permanent Site of Greater-Bay Science Forum
This project is located at the estuary of the Pearl River in China, at the tip of Lingshan Island, Mingzhu Bay, Nansha New Area, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province, China. Nansha New Area, with a total area of 803 km2, is located in the Greater Bay Area, the geographical geometric center of Guangdong Hong Kong Macao Bay area, one of the four bay areas in the world. It has unique geographical advantages, within a radius of 100 kilometers, it gathers all the 11 cities and 5 international airports in Greater Bay Area, 38 and 41 nautical miles away from Hong Kong and Macao respectively. Nansha New Area carries a historical mission of comprehensively deepening reform, expanding opening-up and innovatively developing the “experimental field” of the country, and has the strategic advantages of the “three-zone and one-center” (National New Area, Pilot Free Trade Zone, Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Comprehensive Cooperation Demonstration Zone and Guangzhou Sub-Center carrying the function of gateway hub). It is making every effort to build a “center of the bay area, the open door, and the city of the future”.
Figure 1: Schematic Diagram of the Location of the Project in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area
On May 7, 2021, Guangdong Province issued the construction plan of Guangzhou Innovation Cooperation Zone of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Dawan International Science and Technology Innovation Center, in which it clarified that Nansha Science City will be based on the construction of Centennial Science City, focus on the fields of marine, energy, aerospace, information, etc., lay out the construction of the major scientific and technological infrastructure clusters, cutting-edge cross research platforms and high-level scientific research institutions, gather the high-level scientific and technological talents, and build it into a “Silicon Valley” in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area.
Figure 2: Schematic Diagram of “One Core and Three Circles” Innovation Network of Nansha Science City
Figure 3: Schematic Diagram of Spatial Structure of “One Body, Two Wings and Three Fulcrums” of Nansha Science City
On September 22, 2021, Guangdong Province issued the 14th five-year plan for scientific and technological innovation in Guangdong Province, emphasizing the promotion of the construction of the pioneering zone of the Comprehensive National Science Center in the Greater Bay Area and the Pearl Science Park of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the creation of highly concentrated cluster of major scientific and technological infrastructure and a highland of advanced scientific research and technological innovation with global influence. supporting the Nansha Science City to focus on key frontier scientific fields such as information, life, ocean, etc., and creating an important carrier of the frontier basic research and high-tech innovation in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area； and accelerating the promotion of construction of the International Talent Special Zone in Guangzhou Nansha New Area； holding the Greater Bay Area Science Forum, continuously enhancing its influence, and attracting global high-end innovation resources to converge.
On December 3, 2021, the Information Office of Guangdong Provincial People’s Government held a press conference of the Greater Bay Area Science Forum in 2021 in Guangzhou, officially announcing that the permanent site of the Greater Bay Area Science Forum will be located in Nansha.
The Greater Bay Area Science Forum is committed to building a grand gathering of global scientists integrating scientific exchange and discussion, scientific achievement display, scientific consensus promotion and innovative mechanism, and a high-end platform for “discussing and sharing global scientific development and promoting exchanges and cooperation”. The convening of the forum will help bring together global top scientist resources and extensive contact with core scientific institutions, promote my country’s better integration into the international innovation network, and deeply participate in global innovation governance. Based on the Greater Bay Area, the forum will carry out related work in eight aspects of holding high-level scientific conferences, building high-level think tanks, promoting international exchanges and cooperative research, assisting in the introduction of international top high-tech talents and projects, providing scientific services, building the brand of the forum, establishing scientific research funds and establishing Greater Bay Area Science Awards.
From December 11 to 13, 2021, the Greater Bay Area Science Forum in 2021 was successfully held. At the opening ceremony of the forum, a launching ceremony of the “Greater Bay Area Science Forum Permanent Site Design Competition” was held, hoping to collect the most creative design scheme with world vision through international competitions and make the permanent site a landmark building in Greater Bay Area.
Figure 4: Launching Ceremony of the “Greater Bay Area Science Forum Permanent Site Design Competition”
The organizer of this competition is the Management Committee of Guangzhou Nansha Development Zone, and the organizer is the Mingzhu Bay Development and Construction Administration of Guangzhou Nansha New Area.
Contents of the Competition:
(The specifics are subject to the technical document for competition finally issued)
1. Location of the Project:
The permanent site of the Greater Bay Area Science Forum is located in the Mingzhu Bay District, the main functional area of Nansha Science City. The Mingzhu Bay District has geographical advantages and resource endowments of “five watersheds, three rivers and six banks, connected mountains and rivers and the gate of the South China Sea”, and will benchmark international and domestic advanced cities to create a “smart city in Lingnan and a window of charm in the South China Sea”.
This project is located at the top of Lingshan island in the Mingzhu Bay District, in the vision center of the Zhujiang River estuary into the central urban area, with an excellent geographical environment. This project faces the Huigu West Cultural Island across the river through Jiaomen Waterway, and echoes Hengli International Financial Island and P Mingzhu Science Park across the Upper Hengli Waterway in the south. Several outer river waterways converge here, and the water surface is wide and unobstructed. It will become the vane of the world’s cutting-edge technology and a demonstration site for Nansha’s international image.
Figure 5: Schematic Diagram of the Location of the Project in Mingzhu Bay District, Nansha New Area
2. Land Use Overview:
The land area within the design scope of this competition is 9.51 hectares, and the research area is 26.7 hectares. Therein, the length of the north side of the research area is about 859 meters, the length of the south side 832 meters, the length of the west side 499 meters, and the length of the east side 143 meters. The research scope includes one long-term reserved development land (with an area of 3.04 hectares), one original planned bus terminal, island embankment and other green spaces； therein, some of the roundabout embankments have been finished.
The land within the design scope of this competition extends to the planned property line in the west and is adjacent to the Yuexiu international financial center project, coincides with the flood control line in the East, the land extends to the flood control line in the east and coincides with it, and the north and south borders coincide with the property line of road, reference line for the outer river and management scope line. The scope includes the control scope of rail transit Line 31, the original planned 15 m urban road and the built 30 m urban road (including North Jiangling Road and South Jiangling Road).
Figure 6: Schematic Diagram of the Location of the Project in Lingshan Island, Mingzhu Bay District
Figure 7: Schematic Diagram of Design Scope
3. Project Function Positioning:
The first is to provide first-class conference venues and supporting facilities for the Greater Bay Area Science Forum and various scientific exchange activities, and to create a “cooperation hub” for world-oriented scientific and technological exchanges.
The second is to provide modern office space and a first-class innovation environment for scientific research, innovation and entrepreneurship, and create a world-class scientific organization “gathering space”.
The third is to create a space for popular science experience for the public and become an “interactive center” for popular science experience that serves the Bay Area.
The fourth is to build a space for the display and transformation of cutting-edge scientific and technological achievements, and create a “preferred platform” for innovation and entrepreneurship for integrated development.
4. Construction content and scale：
- Construction Content ：Mainly including the academic center, Nansha science and technology museum, science and innovation center, scientists’ apartment, high-end office，supporting service facilities, etc.
- Construction scale: the total construction volume within the design scope of this competition (volume area of the building) is about 100,000-140,000 m2.
This competition is issued through the people’s government website of the Guangzhou Nansha Zone (, English web page: ), the official account of the Greater Bay Area Science Forum (GSF), architecture forum (), the website of the organizing agent（）and official account of the Mingzhu Bay Development and Construction Administration of Guangzhou Nansha New Area, etc., and openly accepts the registration and participating documents for the domestic and overseas design organizations. In case of any difference in the text of this announcement issued in various media, the text issued on t the website of the Organizing Agent will prevail.
- Registration Scope:
For this project, the competition development method shall be designed with reference to the architectural scheme design competition of similar public building projects in Guangzhou province, and the registration mode of global open solicitation shall be adopted. The competition announcement will be published in the above media, and the registrations from the domestic and foreign design organizations in China are acceptable.
- Registration Conditions:
|This international competition adopts the registration mode of global open solicitation, and there are no qualification requirements. The domestic and foreign design organizations shall provide the following application materials to apply for the competition. Refer to Appendixes 1 and 2 for registration materials and format requirements.|
|1||In this project, the consortium is allowed to participate in the competition, the members of the consortium shall not exceed 2, and each party shall not participate in this competition in any form.|
|2||Credibility requirements of the participating organizations: the participating organization shall have a good reputation in the field of the industry and has not been subject to revocation of business license, revocation of qualifications, suspension of business for rectification, or being taken over or frozen of property being, entering bankruptcy proceedings, etc. by relevant departments (the declaration of the competition registration organization affixed with the official seal shall be provided)；|
|3||The project principal or the creative team of the participating organization shall promise to directly participate in the whole process of this competition and architectural scheme design； (① The statement of the participating organization affixed with the official seal shall be provided ② The personnel list shall be provided)|
|4||For the registration of the domestic design organization, the independent legal personality and business license shall be provided.|
|For the registration of the overseas design organizations (including Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan), the registration certificate of company shall be provided (if the data is in English or other languages, they shall be translated into Chinese.)|
|（Remarks: for Item 4 of this form, any kind of data can be provided.)|
- Registration Method
- The design organizations interested in participating in the competition shall fill in the registration form as required and send the seal-stamped and scanned registration form to the competition email (e-mail: email@example.com) before March 11, 2022.
- The design organization interested in participating in the competition must submit the qualification selection registration documents (for the details of the contents, see Appendixes 1 and 2； for the format, refer to the “Format of the Qualification Selection Registration Document” in Appendix 1) in written form (bound into a volume with A4 paper in eight copies) to the specified receiving address, and submit the electronic documents to the specified mailbox in by mail (mailbox address: firstname.lastname@example.org ), and the qualification selection registration documents received overdue will not be accepted. (The time when the competition organization agency receives the written documents shall prevail； if the written documents are inconsistent with the electronic documents, the written documents shall prevail)
- Address for receipt of written documents: Floor 6, No. 234, Gaotang Road, Tianhe District, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province
In this competition, the qualification selection and evaluation expert group will select the registered design organizations, and select the best 9 design organizations for formal competition. For the details of the specific qualification selection and evaluation rules, see Appendix 2. If there are no more than 9 participating organizations, all the participating organizations are allowed to participate officially. If there are more than 9 registration organizations, 9 formal participating organizations will be selected.
Submission of Competition Deposit
- The official participating organization must submit the competition deposit of 50,000 yuan within 5 working days after the announcement of the list of official participators. For details, see the notice of qualification selection results.
- The participation deposit of the original amount (RMB 50,000) (without interest) will be returned within 15 days after the evaluation of the original design scheme. For the formal participating organization which has paid the participation deposit but fails to submit the competition design results as required, the participation deposit will not be refunded.
- If the participating organization that fails to submit the participation deposit as required will be deemed to give up the competition qualification automatically.
- During the evaluation of competition results, the expert review committee shall select 3 recommended schemes and 3 alternative schemes (no ranking) from 9 formal competition schemes.
- The formal design period is about 44 days. For the specific time, document preparation requirements and specific evaluation methods for the competition results, the requirements in the finally-issued technical documents shall prevail.
- Finally, the decision-making organization selects one optimum scheme from the recommended and alternative schemes, and the optimum scheme will give priority to the scheme design right of the project.
- The competition design results include the design text (including design description and drawings), display drawing board, three-dimensional electronic model, multimedia presentation document (including Chinese subtitles), and design solid model. The electronic document shall be provided except for the design solid model (for the requirements for preparation of outcome documents, the requirements in the finally-issued technical documents shall prevail.)
Relevant Fees and Payment Methods
In this competition, the top three scheme design organizations will be given design copyright and compensation of RMB 1.5 million yuan (tax included) (about US$237,400)； the 4th~6th alternative design organizations will be given design copyright and compensation of RMB 700,000 yuan (tax included) (about US$100,780)； the 7th~9th alternative design organizations will be given design copyright and compensation of RMB 300,000 yuan (tax included) (about US$47,478). If an overseas design organization is required to sign a contract due to the acquisition of scheme design right or design copyright and compensation fee, the overseas design organization shall entrust a domestic organization with a RMB account in China to collect. The participating organization shall fully consider the participation cost, and pay taxes in accordance with the relevant national tax laws. The organizer will not bear any expenses incurred in obtaining compensation.
Other Requirements and Instructions
- The time mentioned in the announcement of this scheme competition is Beijing time.
- The organizations participating in this competition are deemed to have accepted all the provisions in this document.
- All the materials provided by the participating organizations in accordance with the above provisions shall be in Chinese. The materials in foreign languages of the competition results must have a contrastive Chinese Translation. When there is a discrepancy between the Chinese and the foreign language of the same content, the Chinese version shall prevail.
- The authorship rights of the works participating in this design competition belong to the participating party, and the copyright belongs to the competition organizers. The competition organizer has the right to publicly display the results of the competition, and introduce, display, evaluate and use the results of the competition through the media or other forms.
- All the materials submitted by the participating organization will not be returned, including but not limited to registration information, achievements, works, models, etc.
- The competition scheme shall be created originally by the participating organization. If the results involve the intellectual property rights of a third party, the participating organization must bear all the responsibilities and consequences arising therefrom.
- If losses are caused to the competition organizer or third party due to the infringement of the participating organization to the intellectual property rights of others, the participating organization must bear the full legal liability (including compensation for losses, etc.).
- If losses are caused to the third party due to the use of the achievements submitted when the competition organizer does not know that the participating organization infringes the intellectual property rights of others, the participating organization shall bear the full legal liability (including compensation for losses, etc.).
- The documents and materials obtained by the participating organization from the competition organizer or the competition organization agency shall be kept properly, which shall not be disclosed or used for any purpose other than this solicitation activity. The participating organization must bear the legal liability arising from the leakage of documents and materials (including compensation for losses, etc.).
- The laws applicable to this competition and all the related activities are the laws of the People’s Republic of China.
- Plagiarism or plagiarism in any form is not allowed in this competition. All the responsibilities caused must be borne by the fault party, and the competition organizer shall not bear any legal liability.
- In case of any discrepancy between the announcement of this competition and the Technical Documents for Competition officially released, the Technical Documents for Competition shall prevail, and the competition organizer has the final interpretation right of this announcement.
- Before the formal competition, in case of policy change or other force majeure, the organizer has the right to terminate the competition, and the final interpretation right belongs to the organizer of the competition.
- Unless otherwise specified and explained, in this announcement and its annexes, the term “participating organization” also refers to all the parties of the consortium.
- In case of any discrepancy between the English edition and the Chinese edition of the registration announcement of this design competition, the registration announcement in Chinese shall prevail.
- The participating organization must ensure that it has the capability and conditions of scheme design.
- Source of funds: the competition organization expenses are financial funds of the government.
- Format of the Qualification Selection Registration Documents (including Declaration Letter of Registration Organization, Consortium Agreement, Commitment Letter of the Design Team Participating in the Whole Process, etc.)
- Qualification Selection and Review
The announcement is published on AIMIR’s website now. If you want to know more following details regarding to this competition, please feel free to contact AIMIR. What’s more, you’re more than welcome to touch base with us if you need architectural visualization.