- Host: Guangzhou Municipal Planning and Natural Resources Bureau and Nansha District People’s Government of Guangzhou City
- Organizer: Nansha Branch of Guangzhou Municipal Planning and Natural Resources Bureau (Guangzhou Nansha Development Zone Planning Research Center)
- Competition Decision-making Institution: Urban Design Competition Committee of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Innovation Cooperation Demonstration Zone
- Technical Service for the competition: Guangzhou Urban Planning Association
- Conference and Logistics Assistance for the competition: Guangdong Electromechanical Equipment Tendering Co., Ltd.
- Project Name: International Urban Design Competition of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Innovation Cooperation Demonstration Zone (hereinafter referred to as the “Competition”)
- Project Background
In 2019, the Outline Development Plan for the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area issued by the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and the State Council proposed to build a demonstration zone of all-round cooperation among Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao in Nansha, Guangzhou. The Work Report of People’s Government of Guandong Province in 2021 proposes to strengthen the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong and Guangzhou-Zhuhai-Macao Science and Technology Innovation Corridors, and promote the linkage between the “twin cities” of Guangzhou and Shenzhen. Shouldering the new mission of further promoting innovation demonstration for Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao cooperation, the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Innovation Cooperation Demonstration Zone is the portal directly connecting the hubs of the seaport, high-speed railway and airport at the southernmost tip of Guangzhou, the intersection of two technology innovation corridors, and the strategic hinge connecting the inner circle development belt around Greater Bay Area in the southern expansion urban spatial development strategy of Guangzhou.
The Organizer have carried out research on the functional orientation and industrial space planning of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Innovation Cooperation Demonstration Zone and reached a preliminary consensus. They have put forward the overall vision of building the integrative strategic center of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, building the world’s emerging technology innovation source, the national advanced manufacturing technology study place, the new highland of future industrial growth and the demonstration place of modern service innovation in the Bay Area, and planned the industrial and spatial layout of intelligent manufacturing park, digital valley, health valley and ocean science city.
Based on the relevant master plans and the above previous research results, the Competition will carry out in-depth research on development strategy and high-quality design of spatial form, put forward the planning, construction and development roadmap of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Innovation Cooperation Demonstration Zone with high standards, and establish the city image of Guangzhou as the southernmost sea-land portal.
Competition Scope and Requirements
The scope of the Competition is divided into two levels of overall conceptual design and detailed design.
Overall conceptual design scope: south of Bayong (8th canal), west of Longxue South Waterway, east of Hongqili Waterway and north of Shenzhen-Zhongshan Bridge, covering an area of about 71 square kilometers
Overall conceptual design requirements: According to the new situation of regional development, the opportunities, such as the successive implementation of major transportation infrastructure and the closer linkage between the elements of the inner bay circle and the population in Greater Bay Area, are seized, the vision and positioning of the planning objectives are determined, the industrial and functional planning is carried out, and the functional spatial layout for driving regional development in the future is planned on the premise of creating a landscape pattern integrating sea, river, field, city and wetland. The requirements of peak carbon emission and green development are implemented, and the overall urban feature, living environment, supporting services, ecological environment and transportation are optimized and improved.
Detailed design scope: south of Shiwuyong (the 15th canal) and west of Lingxin Avenue, covering an area of about 8 square kilometers.
Detailed design requirements: On the basis of the overall conceptual design, according to the functional orientation of the detailed design range of 8 square kilometers and the assumption of industrial space demand, the supporting conditions are analyzed and detailed design is carried out, including functional format planning, land layout optimization, land development intensity, vertical design, traffic organization, public service facilities planning, open space, and urban style control. At the same time, no less than one node should be selected for deepening design.
(I) Registration requirements
The following Items 1-3 are necessary requirements for registration, and Item 4 is a reference requirement.
- The Competition accepts the registration of domestic and overseas design institutions alone or in a consortium, and does not accept the registration of individuals or combinations of individuals. Both domestic and overseas design institutions must complete legal and effective agency registration locally. The number of institutions forming the consortium shall not exceed 3, and each institution within the consortium shall not participate in the competition alone in its own name or form a new consortium with other design institutions. During the registration, the consortium must submit the Consortium Agreement and specify the main unit of the consortium in the agreement
- If the person in charge of the unit is the same person or different units with direct holding and management relationship, they are not allowed to sign up for the competition alone or in different consortia at the same time.
- The planners and designers participating in the competition shall be registered personnel of this design institution, and the chief designers shall participate in the whole competition.
- It is preferred for the chief designers to have the following experience in hosting similar projects:
- Experience in overall planning and design of waterfront urban areas at the mouth of major rivers；
- Spatial development strategy and planning experience of important development platform nodes in large urban agglomerations and metropolitan areas；
- Detailed urban design ability and practical experience in key urban waterfront sections；
- Cutting-edge key technology reserves in one or more aspects such as future cities, ecological resilience and carbon-neutral cities；
(II) Registration time
Beijing time: From 10:00 on July 13 to 17:00 on August 3, 2021 (the acceptance time of on-site submission materials is from 10:00 to 17:00 on working days, which will not be accepted on legal holidays).
- Competition cost compensation and bonus
If it is confirmed as an effective design result by experts, each participating institution (the consortium unit is regarded as a participating institution) of the effective design result can get a cost compensation of RMB ONE MILLION YUAN Only (￥1,000,000.00, about US$154,900). If it is judged as the winning scheme by experts, the participating institutions of the winning scheme can receive a bonus of RMB SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND YUAN Only (￥600,000.00, about US$92,900) on the basis of cost compensation.
- Scheme integration and optimization cost
After the Organizers negotiate with the participating institutions that have won the winning scheme and report it to the competition committee for confirmation, one participating institution will be determined to win the right of integrating and optimizing the competition results, which is responsible for integrating the characteristics of each competition scheme, combining the opinions of experts and organizers, and forming the optimized overall conceptual design and detailed design scheme. After submitting the integration and optimization results that meet the requirements, the Institution can get another scheme integration and optimization fee of RMB ONE MILLION YUAN Only (￥1,000,000.00, about US$154,900) on the basis of cost compensation and bonus.
- Payment method
The competition cost compensation fee, bonus and scheme integration and optimization fee will be all paid in RMB, and the Organizer of the competition, Nansha Branch of Guangzhou Municipal Planning and Natural Resources Bureau (Guangzhou · Nansha Development Zone Planning Research Center), is responsible for settling with the participating institutions, and any taxes incurred shall be borne by the participating institutions themselves. If the participating institution is a consortium, a written agreement shall be formed on the proportion distribution of consortium expenses within 28 days from the date of the technical document release, and submitted to the competition organizers. In case of failure to submit it within the time limit, all expenses of the consortium will only be settled with the main unit of the consortium.
The obtained cost compensation, bonus and scheme integration and optimization fees will be paid to all participating institutions in China in RMB. If the overseas participating institution cannot collect RMB with its own account, it may authorize a domestic legal independent legal person to collect money, and the Organizers will not pay relevant formalities and taxes.
In order to guarantee satisfactory running of the Competition, any participating institution formally invited shall pay a competition deposit of RMB FIFTY THOUSAND YUAN ONLY (￥50,000 yuan, about US$7,700) to the competition affair service unit before the announcement of the technical document for confirming its participation.
The full amount of the competition deposit will be returned to the account of payment (bearing no interest) within 2 weeks after the scheme evaluation is completed. If a participating institution fails to submit competition results according to the stipulations, the cash deposit will not be returned.
Any participating institution failing to pay the cash deposit according to the requirements shall be deemed to have automatically abandoned its qualification for participating in the competition.
The announcement is published on AIMIR’s website now. If you want to know more following details regarding to this competition, please feel free to contact AIMIR. What’s more, you’re more than welcome to touch base with us if you need architectural visualization.