The Grand Canal Future Art and Technology Center project is located at the former Sinopec refinery site in the middle of Hangzhou Grand Canal New Town, in the core area of the northern part of Hangzhou city, and will build a public cultural center in the northern part of the city together with the Grand Jiang-hang Canal Museum in the south and the Ecological Art Island in the west, injecting sustainable development momentum into the north of the city and driving up the value of the north of the city. The Grand Canal Future Art and Technology Center project is positioned as a public cultural lounge of the city and a gathering place for future industries, with functionalities including the art and technology center, the international creative industry park, the arts and culture creative block, oil refinery park and other functions.
In 2020, six projects, including the Grand Canal Future Art and Technology Center, formed the “Grand Canal World Cultural Heritage Park”, which has be the only project in Zhejiang Province and successfully listed in the National Cultural Park Landmark Program. In order to further accelerate the planning and construction of the National Grand Canal Cultural Park with high quality, the world’s best design teams are invited to participate in the Collection of Conceptual Proposal and In-depth Design for Grand Canal Future Art and Technology Center from August 29, 2022.
Project location map
Planning Structure Plan
Collection of Conceptual Proposal and In-depth Design for Grand Canal Future Art and Technology Center.
Scope of Work
The scope of work is divided into study area and design area (see the attached figure for details)
- Study area: The study area is approximately 176 hectares. The designer needs to fully consider the overall coordination relationship between the Grand Canal Future Art and Technology Center project, the Grand Canal and the surrounding plots.
- Design area: The design area is GS1002-41 plot, with a total land area of about 17.56 hectares. The designer is required to carry out the integrated design of architecture and landscape, implement functional planning projects and operational visions, build a functionally composite Grand Canal Future Art and Technology Center, and shape an art and cultural landmark architectural cluster representing the style and urban spirit of the core area of the Grand Canal National Park.
Figure of design area and study area
Project Design Conditions
Planning indicator: The nature of the land is park green space compatible with square green space and cultural facilities. The plot covers an area of 17.56 hectares, with a plot ratio of 0.9 (tentative, subject to the final approved urban control regulations). The building density is no more than 28%, the park area is no less than 8 hectares, the density of the open block road network is no less than 15%, and the pier management room is 2400 square meters.
Planning indicator list
Project Design Content and Depth
- Design content: The design content is to complete the overall conceptual plan of the Grand Canal Future Art and Technology Center project and the subsequent deepening of the plan design until the completion and acceptance of various cooperation guidance and technical support work. The bid winner shall provide not less than the following 7 professional service consultation (may be undertaken by the bid winner itself) to ensure the implementation of the plan, specifically: landscape, structure, mechanical and electrical (strong and weak electricity, water supply and drainage, HVAC, vertical traffic), curtain wall, floodlighting professional, logos and signs, and traffic.
- Design depth: To complete the overall conceptual plan of the project during the collection stage; after winning the bid, to complete the deepening design of the architecture and landscape public space plan based on the clear conceptual plan and the technical guidance until the completion and acceptance of the project.
- Eligibility Requirements for Applicants
- Domestic applicants are required to have Class A qualification for comprehensive engineering design, Class A qualification for construction industry (architectural engineering) design or Class A qualification for architectural design firms.
- Overseas applicants are required to have legal business or design license in the country or region where they are located, have engaged in planning and design service business in China, and have similar design experience in domestic projects. Overseas design firms must have branches in China.
- Participation by consortium with no more than 2 members is allowed in this project. Members of the consortium are not allowed to participate in this collection in any form again. In case of participation by consortium, it is encouraged to form consortium by professional architecture and landscape institutes.
Remarks: Two or more legal persons whose legal representatives are the same person, parent company, wholly-owned subsidiary and its holding company shall not register for the collection at the same time. For legal persons registered in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao, please refer to the requirements of overseas applicants.
- Experience in the following projects is also required:
Since 2012, the applicant has undertaken the design of landmark public cultural buildings with a building area of not less than 20,000 square meters in Beta- and above cities released by GaWC in 2020.2.2 Since 2012, the applicant has undertaken the design of industrial office parks with a building area of not less than 50,000 square meters in Beta- and above cities released by GaWC in 2020.2.3 Since 2012, the applicant has undertaken the design of large public space landscape with a building area of not less than 30,000 square meters in Beta- and above cities released by GaWC in 2020.Domestic Beta- and above cities include: Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Taipei, Shenzhen, Chengdu, Tianjin, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Chongqing, Wuhan, Changsha, Xiamen, Zhengzhou, Shenyang, Xi’an, Dalian and Jinan.
Stage I: Online registration
- All applicants must scan the following QR code or click the link to fill in the relevant application information before the application deadline of 16:00 on September 7, 2022. After successful registration, you will receive the “Guidance Manual for the Production of Application Documents”, which will be sent by the agency by email. Please check it in time.
- After successful registration, please submit the application materials in paper form (either by mail or on site). Each applicant shall submit the complete paper materials (either by mail or on site) to Xie Haining (Mobile: 13588039506), Room 1706, F17, West Building, Xiandai Zhiye Building, No. 42, Wenhui Road, Xiacheng District, Hangzhou before Beijing time 16:00 on September 9, 2022, and mark “the full name of the applicant – application materials – Conceptual Proposal and In-depth Design for Grand Canal Future Art and Technology Center” on the outer envelope. The time of delivery by mail shall be subject to signature for receipt.
- This application is subject to the receipt of paper documents, and no late submission of application materials will be accepted. (Overseas applicants who can’t deliver the application materials within the specified time due to force majeure reasons such as COVID-19 can contact with the agency to discuss the solution separately.)
Stage II: Selection of applicants in two rounds. In the first round, a review panel will be formed by the Organizer to comprehensively evaluate the qualification, experience in similar projects, awards, introduction of chief creators and performance certificates of all the applicants, and the best 10 will be selected. In the second round, the soliciting units will organize the review committee to hear the design ideas and proposals of each unit, and finally select three finalists (three prospective finalists and three alternative candidates (subject to ranking)).
The shortlisted designers are expected to be announced at the end of September 2022, and the invitation and solicitation documents will be issued. The shortlisted designers are required to sign the competition agreement and confidentiality agreement for the “Conceptual Proposal and In-depth Design for Grand Canal Future Art and Technology Center”.
Stage III: Submission and evaluation of outcome documents. The shortlisted applicants shall submit the results within the specified time (about 60 days), and the Organizer will organize the evaluation and determine the ranking of the applicants in the expert evaluation stage.
Stage IV: Finally, the Organizer will set up a selection committee, and the selection committee will determine the final bid winner according to the recommendation of the expert panel and comprehensive analysis.
The prize is a one-time bonus paid to the shortlisted designers. In addition to the bid winner, the other two designers in the shortlisted stage will be awarded with bonus. Among them, the one with the higher expert review score will receive the design fees of RMB 1.8 million (including tax) (about US$260,800), and the other with the lower expert review score will receive the design fees of RMB 1.6 million (including tax) (about US$231,830). The design fees of the bid winner are included in the service consultation contract and will not be paid separately. If the final proposal submitted by the shortlisted designers fails to meet the requirements of the design specification after evaluation, the Organizer may not pay remuneration.
- All correspondence and documents involved in this collection shall be written in Chinese.
- Taxes arising from the design fees received by the designer and all costs incurred in the collection process shall be borne by the applicants.
- The design achievements submitted shall remain original and shall not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, otherwise the consequences arising therefrom shall be borne by the applicant, and the Organizer reserves the right to pursue and claim compensation.
The announcement is published on AIMIR’s website now. If you want to know more following details regarding to this competition, please feel free to contact AIMIR. What’s more, you’re more than welcome to touch base with us if you need architectural visualization.