Competition Title: The Urban and Rural Areas of the Family
The development of rapid urbanization in China in the past 40 years has been accompanied by the disappearance of millions of natural villages in the countryside. As an ecological barrier, the inheritance of cultural skills and the livable rural settlements, their resources and values have been underestimated and neglected. The empty planning effect and limited capital investment are not enough to generate motivation for the continuous development of empty villages. The natural human value of local settlements needs new production relations and lifestyles to activate.
On the one hand, China has begun to enter an aging society. The dependence on land finance and limited environmental carrying capacity of large cities have made old-age facilities scarce and expensive. On the other hand, a large number of empty villages in the suburbs of the city remain idle and live alone. Effective use of idle resources to rebuild healthy elderly people’s living communities, forming a community of life, emotional communities and production communities with a sense of return. Young people are struggling to work and live in the urban areas, and the elderly return to rural areas in the suburbs. The close kinship of a large family ties the urban and rural spaces closely together.
Use an idle farmhouse in the outskirts of the city to reconstruct a small family home for retirement for your elderly grandparents and retired parents. The renovation or original site reconstruction of agricultural houses must comply with the relevant regulations of the local government on the use and construction of rural houses. If the unused farmhouse area is large and the capacity allows, you can also consider living with relatives and friends and holding groups for retirement. It is a house full of love, and on weekends and holidays, you may go back to the country to stay with the elderly.
Half a century ago, the declaration that architecture is a “machine” and the vision of Wright’s organic architecture has turned into the humanistic position that contemporary meets the realization of personal values and the dependence of commercial civilization on consumption. In the future, with the human fate of AI technology “everything is an algorithm”, the relevance of people and space cannot avoid the changes of the concept of the times, and the demand is constantly shaped, thus becoming the driving force for the internal development of architecture. Architecture today needs to think positively and respond effectively to changes in the outside world, but it should not be separated from the basic architectural principles that are people-oriented, whether it is technology, culture, or economics. Humanity will eventually return to the starting point of intimacy between man and man and between man and nature.
1. Entry drawings (JPG format): general plan, floor plan, elevation, profile, perspective, and other drawings or model photos that the author considers necessary to express the design concept and strategy, as well as design instructions up to 200 words. The above drawings and design instructions must be arranged in a vertical composition, A0 size (1189mm × 841mm) drawing; the drawing ratio is determined; there is no limit to the method of graphic representation; the entry drawings are kept for high accuracy and resolution control above 300dpi.
2. Design description (word file): within 200 words
3. Authors reply form (Excel file): please download through the “download area” of the architect magazine official website system
4. Original statement (JPG format): please download the “download area” (Http://thearchitect.cabp.com.cn/ch/index.aspx) through the “architect” magazine official website system, print and handwritten signatures, and return scanned pieces.
5. School certificate (JPG format): Student ID card or college stamp certificate that can prove the student’s identity at school.
Deadline: September 8, 2019 (depending on the time of sending the mail, the organizer will send a confirmation message after the deadline).
Full-time university undergraduate, masters or doctoral students.
Not limited to countries or regions.
Review: From September to October 2019, it was held at the School of Architecture of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. The shortlisted works selected will be publicized on this platform for a period of one week during the same period.
Announcement: The results of the evaluation will be announced in time after the announcement; the winning works and judges’ comments will be published in the “Architect” magazine published in 2019.
1. No more than three collaborators and no more than two instructors may submit the entries.
2. No registration fee or registration fee is charged for the competition; determine the cost of printing drawings for submission of entries.
3. Participants must be undergraduate, master or doctoral students at the University. If they find out that they do not match, they will be disqualified.
4. No entries shall be cast in one draft or two.
5. The copyright of the entry is owned by the author himself, and the copyright is owned by the “Architect” magazine. (Note: Participants are reminded that before designing the proposal, they must carefully examine the question and complete the drawing in strict accordance with the requirements in the submission surface, especially if there is no general plan, elevation, profile, and perspective. Drawings are considered invalid. )
6. No entry may infringe upon the copyright of another person, nor may the contents of pictures reproduced or copied from other magazines, books or networks be used.
If you want to know more about the participation method and detailed information, please feel free to contact us and we will reply you in 24h. Aimir CG would be glad to inform you of all kinds of design events and help you address the challenges of taking part in these competitions and contests. Do not worry. The consultation would be completely free.